The Department of Community Health was established to conduct teachings, research and to offer professional services in the field of Community Health to all levels of communities in both urban and rural settings. The teaching activities include topics on recognising factors that influence the presence and causation of diseases within the community, behaviour, organisation, community health problems, control and preventive measures and activities, as well as other disciplines involved in public health. The teaching approach used is based on the three tiers of disease prevention, namely primary, secondary and tertiary prevention. In carrying out department activities and programs, community involvement is given due emphasis as it is recognised that elements within the community including the physical, mental and social environment as well as the cultural aspects interplay and have an effect on each other. Field of Community Health is no longer viewed as being directed to viewed diseases only, but has grown into a concept of community wellness. Thus, field of Community Health is to be treated as a holistic and integrated discipline. Realising that an individual’s health status is collectively affected by behaviour, attitude and beliefs, the many issues in community health need to be explored via the approach of research and community consultation. Therefore a community based approach and relevant strategies are to be employed in achieving the department’s aspirations, in line with the prevailing circumstances within the community as well as being tailored to evolving technology and social values.
The Department of Community Health aspires to be a centre of excellence in the areas of teaching, research and provision of professional services in Community Health Medicine. This will contribute toward the improvement in the health status and well-being of the person, family, community and country.
The goals of the Department of Community Health are:
- To produce high quality graduates who are competitive, independent and dedicated to lifelong learning in the field of Community Health Medicine.
- To contribute toward the enrichment of an efficient, transparent and client-centred quality management system in the field of Community Health Medicine.
- To promote the activities of research and publication in community health medicine.
- To promote professional services and consultation in community health medicine.
- To establish a centre of excellence in the field of Community Health Medicine within the department.
- Head of Department : Dr. Norliza Ahmad
- Head of Unit:
- Healthcare Management Unit : Dr. Aidalina Mahmud
- Epidemiology and Biostatistics Unit : Assoc. Prof. Dr. Salmiah Md. Said
- Family Health Unit : Assoc. Prof. Dr. Halimatus Sakdiah Minhat
- Health Promotion Unit : Assoc. Prof. Dr. Suriani Ismail
- Occupational Medicine Unit : Assoc. Prof. Dr. Anita Abdul Rahman
- Environmental Medicine Unit : Dr. Suhainizam Muhamad Saliluddin
- Program Coordinator:
- Doctor of Public Health (DrPH) Program Coordinator : Dr. Rahmat Dapari
- Master of Public Health (MPH) Program Coordinator : Assoc. Prof. Dr. Halimatus Sakdiah Minhat
- Master Science (MSc) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Program Coordinator : Assoc. Prof. Dr. Suriani Ismail
- SPH3981 Coordinator Community Medicine Posting (Medical Program – Year 4) : Dr Suhainizam Muhamad Saliluddin
- MDR3105 Phase 1 Coordinator (Medical Program) : Assoc. Prof. Dr. Ahmad Azuhairi Ariffin
- MDR 3201 Module Coordinator (Medical Program – Year 2): Dr. Siti Aisah Mokhtar
- MDR 3901 Module Coordinator (Medical Program – Year 2): Prof. Dr. Kulanthayan K.C. Mani
- MDR 3104 Module Coordinator (Medical Program – Year 2): Dr. Ahmad Iqmer Nashriq Mohd Nazan
- Industry and Community Relations Coordinator for Department : Prof. Dr. Kulanthayan K.C. Mani
See Department Of Community Health introduction video
PREVIOUS HEADS OF DEPARTMENT
- Col (Ret.) Dr Long Seh Chin (1999-2001)
- Prof. Dr Mohd Yunus Abdullah (2001-2006)
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Hejar Abdul Rahman (2006-2009)
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Mohd. Yusoff Adon (2009 – 2010)
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Sharifah Zainiyah Syed Yahya (2010 – 2011)
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Muhamad Hanafiah Juni (2011 – 2017)
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Nor Afiah Mohd Zulkefli (2017 – 2020)
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Rosliza Abdul Manaf (2020 – 2021)